Hi there, I’m Makenna!
Welcome to More Than Ravens.
Learning how to manage life as a homemaker can be really stressful. Whether you feel like you have a knack for it or not, it can still be overwhelming, particularly if life gets too complicated or you don’t prioritize the right things.
I have always wanted to be a stay at home mom, so much so that before I became one I was a nanny for 5 years. Now that I’m home with my own baby boy, I love it. It takes effort, though, to make sure I am focusing on the right things and not using my time inefficiently.
As much as I would love to have a beautiful, minimalist home, I often have piles of junk sitting around waiting to be sorted through, and I sometimes have food that goes bad before I get around to cooking it. Life happens.
But I am passionate about finding ways to better manage my home and simplify life, whether it’s through things like finding the best baby products, discovering ways to meal plan more efficiently, or perhaps even learning how to simplify my wardrobe.
Whenever I feel passionate about something, I love helping other people learn to love it too (ie. I could talk your ear off about what’s so great about my favorite book, kitchen appliances, vitamins, etc.), so I want to share my experience with you so that you can enjoy being at home as well.
Here at More Than Ravens I don’t only talk about simplifying life, though, because simplification can only take you so far. My other focus is learning to take our anxiety to God and to see things through His perspective. I drew a lot of my inspiration from Luke 12:22-24, which says,
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!”
Some Fun Facts About Me:
- I’m a huge coffee snob (my husband and I are from the Seattle area, so can you blame me??) and spent a bunch of money on our coffee machine.
- I collect mugs, kitchen appliances, and America’s Test Kitchen cookbooks. My favorite mugs are my Harry Potter set by the artist Cara Kozik, and my favorite kitchen appliance at the moment is probably my grain mill, which I am currently using to convert my favorite recipes to einkorn flour (I can’t pick a favorite cookbook; they’re all so good).
- My favorite books are fantasy and fairy tale retellings (check out Entwined by Heather Dixon for an absolutely lovely retelling of “The Twelve Dancing Princesses”), and I would love to publish my own fantasy novel someday.
- My husband and I watch The Office on repeat and could have whole conversations in just Office quotes. Our other favorite is Avatar: The Last Airbender (not Korra).
- I love buying gifts for people, which is why I included a gift guide category. The most extravagant present I’ve ever done was a trip from Seattle to Arizona on my husband’s birthday (then boyfriend) for the day to watch the first game of spring training (he’s a huge Mariners fan).
To get started, sign up for my newsletter and check out these posts, and if you have any questions feel free to head on over to the contact me page and send me a message.